I am so excited about this DIY project! I have been dreaming it up for a while and finally got motivated and adventurous enough to attempt the project. It took some planning and patience (bleh) but I can now say that this DIY mirrored nightstand is my most favorite project to date!
I love mirrored nightstands! They feel so glamorous and adult – two things I usually do not feel. The sizes and looks of the ones above were perfect for our master bedroom but the prices are absolutely ridiculous…especially when you add in shipping for a large, delicate item! I really wanted one but really did not want to pay the premium price so I finally went for it and attempted this project.
This “nightstand” was actually a small dresser my grandma used to use. (Please ignore the dead green stuff everywhere – spring is coming!) If you remember from the curio cabinet project, she moved out of her house and had a large garage sale which was awesome for me. It was in pretty good condition but had some scratches and dents from general wear and tear. (The two top drawers were at the glass shop when I took this picture.)
Obviously I couldn’t put mirror on every square inch of the furniture so I used Krylon’s original chrome spray paint (40% off at Hobby Lobby) and painted the edges of the top, sides and drawer fronts of the nightstand. There was zero point of wasting paint on the middle of each part since that is where the mirror was going! While the painting was happening, my mirror pieces were being cut at my favorite glass shop.
Side note: I am now obsessed with my friends at City Glass because they replaced two cracked drawer front pieces for me…for free! Seriously, make friends with people who you know you’ll be working with a lot. They will be your life-savers when you attempt your own DIY projects.
When I finished my oversize floor mirror project, I asked my friends at the glass shop how I should start the mirrored nightstand project. They recommended just bringing in the measurements for the sides and top but to bring in a drawer so they could have a template for the size and placement of holes for the hardware. So smart! The sides on this piece were different – so weird – and the top drawer is smaller than the bottom three drawers so I took them the measurements for three pieces as well as the top two drawers for measuring and cutting.
It took about three days for them to get all seven pieces cut and ready for me to pick up. We had plenty of mirror adhesive left over from the last mirror project and it was the same procedure as before: put plenty of glue on the back of the mirror, stick the mirror to the surface and use objects/tape to hold the mirror in place for at least 24 hours.
The sides were the hardest and scariest to glue. The top was obviously the easiest – some tape and heavy books helped keep the mirror in place – but the sides were so nerve-wracking. Would the piece of mirror fall over in the middle of the night? No need to worry – the mirror adhesive glue means serious business. After about 20 minutes, that sucker wasn’t budging. (we still kept the tape on over night to make sure nothing was falling or moving)
The drawers were pretty easy as well. We set them upright, glued them, stuck the mirror on and used the new hardware to position each piece perfectly. Not pictured here are two of the drawers…the mirror cracked a little from drilling the holes for the hardware and I think I might have screwed in one of the knobs too tight…lesson learned! The knobs are now on but not screwed so tightly they don’t have a little give to them.
Here is the final product – love, love, love! Seriously, it makes me so happy to walk in to our room and see this nightstand. It really does make me feel a little more glamorous and a little more grown-up with something this fancy in our master bedroom.
(Pssst – like that green painter’s tape above our bed? It is now a tufted headboard, inspired by West Elm, that my mom and I made! Check it out here.)
This project ended up being extremely cost-effective, especially compared to the pricey pieces I originally found online. The knobs were all half-off at Hobby Lobby (shame on you if you ever purchase something for the full price) and getting mirror cut to size is really not that expensive! This whole piece was $128, which sounds like a lot, but is SO much better than the $400-700 I was looking at originally.
The only purchases I made for the top of the nightstand were the fresh tulips and the pink/green tray. I love fresh flowers, especially the pretty spring ones, and the pink/green tray reminds me of my bedroom in college (I was obsessed with the color combination). I love it because it gives me happy memories as well as brings in some fun pops of color!
The rest of the items have been collected over time: lamp and large frame are from Hobby Lobby, the clock was a wedding present from Pottery Barn, the Ben’s Garden ‘L’ coaster was a present from a friend, the books came from random places over the years and the vase is from Target. I like the variation of heights of the items and that they all have some special meaning or thought to them.
For your viewing pleasure…and mine, of course, I love a good before and after…here is a final before/after look at our DIY mirrored nightstand. SO happy with the results and so happy I went for this project. It was a lot easier than I had built it up to be and of course am mad I waited so long to do this!
Sharing this over at: